Friday, August 30, 2013

Fresh Salsa Recipe



I'm posting this quickly for a friend on twitter. Here goes: 

48 ounces give or take (6 big tomatoes or so) of peeled, chopped garden tomatoes, about 32 ounces drained (I cut them up and put them in the blender/food processor to measure)

One chopped onion

6-10 jalapeños, cored and chopped (leave some inner pepper membranes for hotter salsa). Cutting out the insides (I use a spoon after cutting them in half and wear gloves) takes most of the heat out. If you use the whole pepper, I'd just put in one or maybe two if you like it hotter and maybe add some sweet banana peppers for more chunks in the salsa.

1/2 cup of Cilantro

2-3 large cloves of garlic - some people prefer just one. I like lots of garlic.

Add after straining the tomatoes:

1-2 tsp of salt (to taste - canned tomatoes or Rotel have considerably more) 

Tsp of sugar 

1/2 tsp of ground cumin 

Lime juice, I just squirt in a couple teaspoons full or so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment